Saturday, 5 October 2013

Ollerton Town 2-4 Westella Hanson

Venue: The Lane, Ollerton.

Our first ever visit to the home of Ollerton Town - it's only just over a half-hours drive, and as we pulled in to the ground we were wondering why we've never been before....

Had a walk around the pitch perimeter to see where would be a good spot, and had to chuckle at the signs on each of the dug-outs requesting that people do not urinate!

Before kick off Westella were joint leaders of the CML Northern Division along with AFC Mansfield, having played 8, won 7 and drawn 1. 

Ollerton were 10th in the league before the game commenced, having played 8 - winning 4 and losing 4. We knew a few of the Town players, but the Westella team were completely unknown to us.

Ollerton line-up:
Louis Sprigg, Lee Bowler, Jack Beeby, Alex Wilford, Ryan Bunce, Ben Bowring, Chris Rhodes, Sam Holmes, Tristan Burrell, Craig Stanton, Jamie Senior. Subs: Jordan O'Callaghan, Aaron Norman, Callum Atkinson, Craig Waddell.

Westella Hanson:
Curtis alden, Tom Dent, Mike Hewitt, Andy Bagshaw, James Atkinson, Matt Fyvie, Alex Wood, Dave Gordon, Rob Petch, Garry Flounders, Joe Norton. Subs: Chris Spinks, Mike Bettney, Luke Metcalfe, Rob Dodson, Paul Wilson.

Strange to see the Referee in almost the same colour strip as the Ollerton team - but this, as it turns out, was the least of Mr. Jack Forder's problems as he went on to have the proverbial "mare" of a game. 

Ollerton opened the scoring their dominant play deserved in the 9th minute, TRISTAN BURRELL slamming the ball home from an acute angle. He had appeared to have taken the ball too near the touchline after rounding the visiting keeper, but the striker kept his composure and finished well. 

Great sequence of Burrell's first goal (courtesy Kev Goodman)

Ollerton gave away a free-kick on the edge of their area on 17, and although the wall did it's job blocking the initial effort, the ball went wide to a Westella boot, and was crossed to the far post where GARRY FLOUNDERS was waiting to simply tap in from close range. 

Jamie Senior saw his well-struck free-kick cannon off the underside of the bar seconds later, as the home team strove to regain the lead. 

Senior's effort flies down off the underside of the crossbar

As it transpired, the travellers took the lead on the half-hour mark, FLOUNDERS powering a terrific header over the outstretched arms of Louis Spriggs. 

Flouders adds Westella's second

The Westella lead lasted barely 30 seconds though as BURRELL received the ball from the restart and drilled a shot low into the back of the net. H-T 2-2.

Burrell levels for Ollerton

The home team dominated the first 20 minutes of the second period, but failed to capitalise on that domination, and the inevitable away goal seemed destined to arrive and punish Ollerton for their profligacy. That away goal came on 68, and was a flick header by DAVE GORDON, the midfielder diving in through a crowd of players to score. 

Dave Gordon (hidden) gives Westella the lead

The final goal of the game came in the 82nd minute of the game, and it was a beauty! From a corner, the ball was cleared to  CHRIS SPINKS some 25 yards from goal, and the substitute hit a stunner past Sprigg - the keeper rooted to the spot as the ball sizzled past him.  F-T 2-4

Chris Spinks' shot hits the back of the net before Sprigg moved!

This game was spoiled by the attitude of some of the players, and the lack of control showed by Referee Forder. Quite a few offences went unpunished - pushing, elbowing etc. but it was the general  inability  to control the players that caused all sorts of bother on the pitch. 

The only surprise was that it took until the 86th minute for a player to be dismissed -  namely Rob Petch, and his tackle on Wilford wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of the previously unpunished challenges. Can't see Mr. Forder gatting very high marks from either team.

Admission: £3
Programme: £1
Attendance: Head count 45