Sunday, 27 October 2013

Kirkby Town 2-1 FS Clumber

Venue:  The Summit Centre, Kirkby in Ashfield

This was thought to be probably free-scoring Kirkby's biggest test of the season, and so it proved. The team from North Notts gave their hosts a heck of a game and can consider themselves unlucky to bow out of the Notts. F.A. Sunday Senior Cup.

"Flying Scotsman" Clumber play in the Gainsborough & District Sunday League Division 1, and currently lie in 4th place having played 4, winning three and drawing the other.

The referee was Pat O' Dowd.  Enough said.

Kirkby line - up: Boot, Armstrong, Cobb, Voller, Fisher, Walters, Watson Kr, Cresswell, Watson K, Watson N, Bowen.

As usual with Sunday games, the opposition line up remains a mystery!

Kirkby usually overpower their guests, but on this occasion they were made to battle for every ball and we had to wait until the 18th minute before they opened their account. Neat approach play culminated with a fierce drive from Kieran Watson, and although the keeper did well to save the effort, KRISTIAN WATSON nipped in at the far post to slam home the loose ball. 

Kris Watson

Ryan Bowen came close to doubling the Kirkby lead on 29, but his low shot was well saved by the FS keeper, diving down at the near post. 

Clumber though, refused to lie down and let Kirkby steamroll over them - and were level on 38 when their no. 4 rifled home the loose ball after keeper Steve Boot had failed to deal with the ball as it came in from the left. H-T 1-1

KIERAN WATSON put the home team back in front in the 51st minute, drilling low past the visiting keeper after he was picked out by a superb through ball from Marc "Butch" Walters. 

Clumber were awarded a penalty on 8, but Boot was in no mood to be beaten again and save the spot kick superbly.  Kirkby were awarded their own penalty a minute later, but Nat Watson's shot was well saved by the keeper. 

                                                             Watson fails from the spot

There was a punch up soon after - Keiran Watson fouled his marker who took exception to the challenge and pushes were exchanged.  The Managers from both team entered the fray, as did the visiting keeper who actually piled in and gave Nat Watson a right old smack around the ear-hole.  No action was taken by Mr. O' Dowd - he had a chat to both skippers and re-started the game with a dropped ball !

With three to play, FS Clumber looked to have a perfectly good goal ruled out by the Kirkby club linesman, who signalled that the goal-scorer was in an offside position when the initial shot was blocked by a defender.  

We endured a three minute period of stoppage time, hoping upon hope that the home team could hold out - and dreading the spectre of extra-time and penalties that would have to be endured should Clumber equalise. Thankfully no more drama followed and Kirbky go into the hat for the draw for the next round. F-T 2-1