Sunday, 6 October 2013

Double header Sunday!

Game 1 - venue: The Summit Centre, Kirkby. Kick off 10:30am

Kirkby Town 10-2 Stratford Haven - Notts Senior League Premier Div One

Stratford Haven are looking likely to be the Division's whipping boys after having played three games and lost three games - conceding 19 with only 5 in reply.

Kirkby have a terrific line up and are hoping to emulate what they achieved in the league last season - unbeaten throughout the entire campaign.

The visitors lined up in shocking pink shirts, whilst Kirkby sported a change kit of orange shirts and black shorts.  A veritable  kaleidescope  of  colours!!

Kirkby line-up:
Boot, Walters, Cobb, Fisher, Smith, Campbell, Watson Kr, Cresswell, Watson K, Watson N, Bowen.

Great weather for October, and just about perfect for football.  The Kirkby players were in no mood to sun worship though and were ahead after just two minutes had been played, KEIRAN WATSON slotting home after he was given far too much room just inside the box.

RYAN BOWEN side-footed Nathan Watson's inch perfect ball past the visiting keeper on 8, then Bowen played in KRIS WATSON to add the third two minutes later.

Ryan Bowen (no. 11)

NAT WATSON fired home the fourth seconds later - controlling the ball well, before placing the ball into the net.  

Stratford Haven pulled one back on 16, a close range effort from MARC SCOTT beating Steve Boot at his near post. 

The four goal lead was restored in the 21st minute, KEIRAN WATSON finishing off a neat move. FRAZER CAMPBELL added Kirkby's sixth on the half-hour mark, taking his time before picking his spot and firing through the mass of bodies in the area.  H-T 6-1

We had to wait until the 67th minute for the next goal, NAT WATSON driving home from 15 yards. KEIRAN WATSON added his third and Kirkby's eighth on 70, then NATHAN WATSON completed his personal triple a couple of minutes later, dribbling through the defence, sitting the keeper down then beating the defenders again before drilling the ball into the net.  Kirkby were shocked again when Haven's SAM WILSON broke free and fired past Boot, but the final word went to RYAN BOWEN, a neat little back flick from a Kris Watson cross. F-T 10-2

Head count 18 ( Fredkirkbytown)

Game 2 - venue: Watnall Road, Hucknall 

Nottingham Forest Ladies 2-0 Blackburn Rovers Ladies - Women's Premier League

Back out into the autumn sunshine for this 2pm kick off at the home of Hucknall Town - delighted that Kev decided to join me for this game! We were joined inside the ground by Richard Lane and Maurice McFarland -  always a pleasure to be in the company of such  knowledgeable  friends.  

It was great to see the Forest Ladies in action again - I enjoyed the Newcastle game a couple of weeks ago, but this was a better game with a much better result, and not a single expletive uttered! 

The first half was goal-less, but in good company and with great banter it flew by. The second half was just four minutes old when Forest finally opened their account, KIRSTY ALLEN superbly controlling a through ball from Trina Greaves before firing home.

Kirsty Allen  (pic from Forest Ladies twitter feed)

Amber Hughes had a fierce shot well save by the Rovers keeper on 55, but the goal that settled the game was hit even harder!  With 15 minutes left, Forest had three close range chances blocked, but as the beleaguered Rovers defence finally cleared their lines and breathed a collective sigh of relief, STEPHANIE SMITH unleashed a bullet from 25 yards that gave the visiting keeper no chance.  What a strike from the midfielder!  F-T 2-0

Admission: £3
Programme: £1
Attendance:  Kev head count 43
MOM:  Trina Greaves - controlled the Reds' midfield and ran her socks off. 

First half action