Saturday, 19 October 2013

Hucknall Town 1-3 Desborough Town

Venue: Watnall Road, Hucknall

Yellows - Whetton (18)
Desborough - Byrne (5, 57) Forbes (25)

Beacuse I wasn't feeling too great, a game close to home was called for, and they don't get much closer than a fixture at Watnall Road - just a two minute car ride and Bob's your mothers brother!

We didn't know too much about the team from Northampton, just that they were currently mid-table in the step 5 United Counties League Premier Division.

Well observed silence from the players pre-kick off

It was apparent from the off that Desborough played at a higher level than the Yellows - they were more composed and much quicker to the ball than their step 7 opponents, and it took only 5 minutes for the visitors to make their superiority count.  

A ball from the back was flicked into space by MICHAEL BYRNE, the striker then raced onto his own ball before running at keeper James Beddingham and chipping over him from the corner of the box. 

Michael Byrne

Much to Hucknall's credit they didn't let this early setback upset them too much, and were almost level on 14, Eugene Francis firing just wide of the far post after turning his marker on the edge of the area. 

Francis goes close!

The home team kept up their offensive and were rewarded in the 18th minute when JOHN WHETTON raced in from the right wing and curled an unstoppable effort over Desborough keeper Richard Lavin's desperate dive.  

Whetton (out of shot) fires home....

....and receives congratulations from his team-mates

The teams were level for only 7 minutes though, poor defending at a set piece undoing all the home teams previous good work. A free-kick was conceded just shy of the by-line, and the Desborough left back pinged ball low and hard to the near post where MARK FORBES beat Sam Sims to the ball and headed powerfully past Beddingham. H-T 1-2

Forbes (no.8) heads home

The second half was 12 minutes old when Desborough added to their lead, MICHAEL BYRNE firing past Beddingham from 10 yards with outside of this right boot. Clever goal from the striker, shielding the ball superbly before turning and making room for the shot.

Sims forced Lavin into a diving save on 68 as Hucknall strove to get back into the game, but three minutes later it should have been done and dusted for "Ar Tarn" when Byrne was picked out in front of goal. Unfortunately for the no.9, his header flew well wide and soon after he was subbed, spoiling any chance he may have had to make amends and claim a well deserved hat-trick. F-T 1-3 

Admission: £3
Programme: £1
Attendance: my H/C 123 

Referee: Mr. Richard Eley. Very good game. No real problems to deal with - cautioned players when they needed it, but overall, very impressive.