Thursday, 3 October 2013

Basford Utd U19 3-1 Buxton FC U19

Venue: Greenwich Avenue, Basford.  Kick off 7:50pm.

Really pleased that Kev was able to get to this game - not only did we see Basford continue their unbeaten start to the season, but we also saw a really good game between two strong teams.

Buxton were arguably the better team on the whole, but sharp finishing from the home team saw them prevail.

Greeted inside the ground by Referee Craig Langton,  who assured me he would have a quiet game - and true to his word, he did.  One or two players tried it on, but Craig was having none of it and kept the game flowing, a trait that at times, is not always apparent in some officials.

Buxton were alert from the off, and posed one or two problems for the United back-line, but despite all their possession and neat play, they went a goal down with 14 minutes played, JOE BROTHWELL hitting a  fierce  drive from almost 30 yards that took a slight deflection and left the visiting keeper stranded.

United's second goal in the 30th minute was a stunner!  A corner from the right was cleared and when it fell to LEWIS SELBY some 25 yards from goal, we though the left-back would fire it back into the danger area - instead he lashed an arrow straight bullet of a shot right into the top corner! What an effort from the defender - too bad there were less than 30 people in attendance to witness this super strike....

On 33, Basford midfielder Rhys Plackett was back helping his team-mates defend a free-kick, but when the ball broke to the Buxton no.5, Plackett unceremoniously dumped him to the floor, giving Mr. Langton little option other than to award a penalty to the visitors. The Buxton no. 8 duly converted from 12 yards.

Three minutes later Basford's two goal lead was restored when ANTON ROBINSON hammered the ball into an empty net after Luke McKeag's challenge on the Buxton keeper saw the ball roll straight into the strikers path. H-T 3-1

The second half saw Basford a little more in control of affairs, and they restricted Buxton to just a hand full of half chances.

Even though the second period remained goal-less, some of the play was in the top drawer, and the teams were a credit to the league. F-T 3-1