Sunday, 20 October 2013

Kirkby Town 5-2 Sileby Athletic

Venue: The Summit Centre, Kirkby.

Kirbky Town and Silbey Sileby Athletic met in the 1st round of the Sunday F.A. Cup. Kirkby were placed in the Notts Sunday League Premier Division One after going through last season undefeated , whilst Sileby have found it difficult moving up to the Charnwood Sunday League Premier Division, winning only one of their four league games, conceding 17 times.  


The Kirkby faithful turned out in their 10's for this game - that must be so disappointing for those involved with the club - these F.A. Cup games usually attract decent crowds, but obviously not on this occasion!

Any fears that Town would struggle against their Leicestershire opponents were alleviated somewhat after just 4 minutes,  KRIS WATSON nodding home at the near post after Nat Watson and Ryan Bowen combined well down the left. 

Ryan Bowen had a great chance to double Kirkby's lead on 11, but could only steer his close range header over the bar. 

Sileby asked a few questions of the home defence - and although this is a defence that usually has an easy ride, they coped admirably with all that their visitors threw at them. 

Kirby added to their lead on 36, Kieran Watson sliding the ball through to NATHAN WATSON who calmly slotted past the Sileby keeper. H-T 0-2

The teams stayed on the pitch for their half-time break, as did the three officials ..with Referee Eddie Pidduck even getting a neck massage from the Referee coach who was in attendance along with the Assessor.

It got even better for the home team just 7 minutes into the second half, KRIS WATSON reacting quickest and prodding home at the far post after Keiran Watson's free-kick had cannoned off the bar and the keeper had spilled his attempted catch.

Centre-half Russell Smith in the Kirkby defence dwelled on the ball to long on the hour mark, and was dispossessed. The ball found it's way to the far stick where the Sileby no. 11 had the simple task of tapping over the line.

Tom Cresswell had a simple chance to restore the home teams three goal lead on 64, but his tame shot was grabbed by the keeper just as it reached the line. 

Seconds later, Keiren Watson fired a penalty kick onto the bar, then the same player saw his volley also hit the bar after he had chested down a pass. 

KEIRAN WATSON finally got his name on the scoresheet on 79. His initial shot  was spilled by the Sileby keeper, and Bowen quickly nipped in to keep the play alive and give Watson time to run in and prod home the loose ball.

Sileby's no. 6 fired past Kirkby keeper Steve Boot with five to play, but the home team had the final say, KIERAN WATSON running one-on-one with the keeper and calmly firing home from 12 yards. F-T 5-2