Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Kimberley MW 2-3 Selston FC

Venue: The Stag Ground, Kimberley, Nottinghamshire

Competition: Notts Senior League Senior Division


Kimberley -  Josh Stevenson (24), Danny Chaplin (37)
Selston - Dominic Airey (pen 28),  Steve Smith (45), Sean Gregory (69)

Selston move into second place after this win - still 5 points behind Kimberley, but with three games in hand, the title looks theirs to lose.  Click here for table.

A decent turn out at the Stag for this encounter - head count was 82, not bad for a Notts Senior League game.

The teams were well matched all the way through the 90, but Welfare were without a few key players - Martin Lench a really big miss in the heart of the midfield. 

Great to see Selston's Gary Breach still playing - he was one of our favourite players during his time at Eastwood Town. Still looks in great shape and commands the back line like a good 'un!

Selston's line up also included a few of our friends who were formally with Pinxton FC, namely Jay Cooper, Sean Gregory, Jamie Renshaw and skipper Ben Moore. 

The home team could have been a man short early doors, Michael Murphy lucky to receive just a yellow for a thunderous challenge on Gregory. Referee Andy Rolph could have easily have sent off the Welfare captain, but it was so early in proceedings and such a high profile game (at this level), that I imagine Mr. Rolph allowed for early over-exuberance, producing just a yellow.

Kimberley were first on the scoresheet. After 24 minutes had been played, JOSH STEVENSON fired home a superb curling free-kick from the edge of the box that was so well executed it gave Selston keeper Jake Simpson no chance. 

The lead lasted barely four minutes though, Selston levelling from the spot through DOMINIC AIREY after Sean Gregory had been fouled in the box.

Simpson made a terrific save on 37, tipping the ball over for a corner. When the corner was fired into the area, DANNY CHAPLIN rose higher than anyone else and headed powerfully home to  restore the home teams advantage.

Selston didn't let their heads drop though and piled the pressure on the Kimberley back-line, pressure that was rewarded in the final minute of the half when STEVE SMITH tapped home from close range after the home defence had failed to clear their lines. H-T 2-2

Spent the second half in the company of former Pinxton boss Kenny Shinfield - he has taken a step away from the game for a while, but knowing Kenny he'll be back in one role or another!!

The second half continued to be fast-paced and both keepers were called on to make saves. The deciding goal was something of a gift.

With 20 to play, Welfare sub Andy Tinsley rolled the ball back to keeper Matt Walsh from 20 yards out, but failed to see SEAN GREGORY hovering close by. The Selston number 6 nipped in to challenge Walsh before he could clear, won the ball cleanly and prodded home from two yards. F-T 2-3

Great game and what an advert for the NSL. Can't wait for the return game on April 19th - should be another cracker!