Saturday, 5 April 2014

Blidworth Welfare 0-6 Clifton AW

Venue: The Welfare Ground, Mansfield Road, Blidworth, Notts

Competition: Central Midland League, South Division

Ben Richardson (17), Jaylee Hodgson (29, 78), Connor Hardy (50), Craig Anderson (76), D'Ryan Miller (82)

Cooo-eee !!!!

Clifton currently sit in second place in the CML South Division, 2 points behind leaders Bulwell, with a game in hand. Blidworth lie second bottom, so this should have been a formality for the All Whites, and that's just what it turned out be. 

Clifton gave a debut to goalkeeper Ryan Murphy, signed recently from Real Utd, and welcomed back striker Jaylee Hodsgon after a long lay off through injury.

Jaylee looking mean!!

It was good to see Kyle Ludlow again - he was on the bench for Blidworth, but four or five months ago it looked like he was going to be out for the whole season due to serious illness. 

Dave Voller and Kyle Ludlow

We spent the game in the company of Kirkby Town Manager Andy Cruddace, the big man still enthusing over his teams defeat of T8's in the Notts Sunday Premier Section Cup semi final on Wednesday. 

James Turner came over to say hello, as did Michael Banister - looking good, Mike!

Clifton went all out attack straight from the off, but solid defending by the home team kept them at bay. The Welfare back-line was eventually breached though on 17, Hodgson breaking free down the left and firing the ball across the area. Connor Hardy stepped over the cross, leaving BEN RICHARDSON a clear shot at goal, the effort giving home keeper Tyler Merryweather no chance.


JAYLEE HODGSON grabbed his first of the game on the half hour, nipping in to beat Merryweather to the loose ball after the keeper had fumbled Andy Davis' cracking pass in from the left. Merryweather redeemed himself somewhat on 43, pulling off a great save from Rob Gill's attempted chip. H-T 0-2 

Hodgson (far left) wheels away after scoring

With five minutes of the second half played, a back-pass put Merryweather under pressure, and the keeper gifted the ball to Davis - the full back took his time before calmly picking out CONNOR HARDY, who converted easily from 10 yards out. 

It was 4-0 to the visitors after 76 minutes, CRAIG ANDERSON pressured a defender on the edge of the area, and after winning the ball strode into the box before firing a less than fierce shot past Merryweather.

Craig Anderson

Clifton keeper Murphy can claim an assist for the fifth goal two minutes later - his 60 yard throw was missed in the air by Rob Gill, but the ball fell sweetly to HODGSON who drilled the ball home from the corner of the box.

Hodgson created the final goal in the 82nd minute, his sublime cross from the right met with a neat diving header at the far stick by D'RYAN MILLER. F-T 0-6

Admission: £3
Programme: none left
Attendance: H/C 37
MOM: Andy Davis
Pics: Kev Goodman

Referee Scott Mason had a terrific game, his reading of the game was superb, and although there were a couple of potential flash-points, they were dealt with firmly and with authority.