Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Blidworth Welfare 2-5 Mickleover RBL

Tuesday 3rd September - venue: Welfare Ground, Blidworth

We saw Mickleover Royal British Legion at Hucknall Town the other week, and were impressed by the Derbyshire outfit who won that game 4-2. 

Blidworth look like having another season of struggle, although there are signs that they can play a bit - they lost this 5-2, but it could have been so different if Dave Voller's second minute close range header had hit the back of the net instead of creeping just wide.  

Kurtis Bamford also went close on 12, his shot across Darren Keeling crashed off the post with the keeper well beaten.  It was a fairly even contest up until the 24th minute when Lee Fottles tripped Dave Monn in the box.  MOON drilled the spot kick past Blidworth keeper Tyler Merryweather with some venom.

The lead should have been doubled on 32, but Stuart Poynter's fierce drive was well saved by Merryweather. Seconds later though, they did increase their advantage. Emanuel Freeman was given the ball in midfield and the pacy no. 11 raced at goal before chipping Merryweather. The ball looked to be going out for a goal kick, but Freeman caught up with it and lashed it across the goal mouth where it flew off  Blidworth  centre-half  JAKE ALLEN into the net. 

Blidworth responded immediately, Keeling's attempted clearance hitting BARRY STOKES and flying into the net.  H-T 1-2

Blidworth treasurer Scott Ward invited us for a drink and a chat at the break - always a pleasure talking to Scott. I wonder where the club would be without Scott and Dave Voller's tireless efforts at keeping things going. 

Referee Daniel Middleton had been having a good game - but in the second half became over-fussy - booking players for what were in my opinion, innocuous challenges.  The one booking he got right would be that of Moon when he finished off a chance well after he had been adjudged to have been offside. Even that could have been a warning rather than a card. Letter of the law, I suppose....

Stokes saw his diving header crash off a post on 52 as Blidworth strove to get back on terms, but it was the visitors who struck next, BEN STOCKLEY curling the ball over Merryweather from the corner of the box after he was picked out superbly by Poynter. 

The home team clawed their way back into the game on the hour mark, STEFF COBB controlling the ball well, before firing past Keeling from the edge of the box. 

Mickleover restored their two goal lead in the 67th minute after the home defence failed to clear a corner - MOON firing the loose ball into the net from 6 yards out.

Another failed clearance at a corner handed the Legion a fifth in stoppage time, this time full back ADAM BIBBY lashing the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards. F-T 2-5

Entertaining game, spoiled at times by the Referee, but he can only play it as he sees it .....

Admission £3
Programme £1
Attendance - I counted 39