Saturday, 28 September 2013

Blidworth Welfare 0-3 Hucknall Town

Venue: The Welfare Ground, Blidworth.

We sat in the Welfare car listening to commentary of the dying moments of the Spirites v Stags game - the 6 minutes of added time meant we arrived in pitchside just a couple of minutes before kick off time.

We were greeted by Dave Voller, who gave us the sad news that our good friend and Blidworth stalwart Scott Ward, had left the club in somewhat acrimonious circumstances. Dave was carrying four footballs and still managed to shake my hand!  Mind you, he did spend a fair portion of the game retrieving those balls from the thick brambles that are over the fence on the dugout side of the ground.

Something lurking in the undergrowth!!

Blidworth had named Voller and Assistant Manager Kev Heathcote as subs. Voller has an elbow injury that meant he couldn't start the game, whilst Heathcote is nearer to 50 years old than he is to 40, so was hoping he wasn't needed! Former Hucknall keeper Jason Fisher lined up at right-back as the Welfare squad was down to the bare-bones.

Ex-yellow Jason Fisher

The game began slowly with neither side creating a deal. The visitors took the lead on 24, another former yellow RYAN CHEETHAM stabbing the ball into his own net after he was put under pressure from Eugene Francis.


Tom Crisp saw his 20 yard volley well save by Blidworth keeper Tyler Merryweather on the stroke of half-time, but other than that the half was fairly stale. H-T 0-1

Hucknall looked a little more in charge as the second half began, with Francis leading the line looking more and more of a threat.

Jonathan Hamilton ran through the Welfare defence in the second minute of the half, and it took a terrific diving save from Merryweather to keep out the number 9's effort. Francis tried two shots from distance on 52, but both flew well over the bar. 

Soon after, Mark Smith fired in a free-kick that crashed off the underside of the Blidworth bar, and watched in disbelief, along with everyone in the ground, as John Whetton headed the rebound well over from just a couple of yards out. 

On 73, Welfare centre-forward Josh Bye won a race to the ball with Town defender Josh Henry, and hit a shot that flew agonisingly over James Beddingham's bar. Could have been 1-1, but JONATHAN HAMILTON increased Town's lead on two minutes later, firing across Merryweather from the corner of the 6 yard box. 

0-2 Hamilton(out of shot) fires home

Seconds later Town grabbed their third, JOHN WHETTON gifted the ball in front of the goal, and gleefully slotting home.

Whetton wheels away after grabbing the Town third

The game was now over for Blidworth, and they decided to rest Fisher and give Heathcote a game. F-T 0-3

Fisher subbed - Voller still playing with his balls!!

Veteran Kev Heathcote in action

Admission £3
Programme £1
Attendance H/C 53