Saturday, 9 November 2013

Pinxton FC 2-2 Linby CW

Venue: The Welfare Ground, Wharf Road, Pinxton.

First time we've been to Pinxton this season, although we have seen them on the road a couple of times, including the 3-3 draw at Linby. 

This return match was always going to be on the calender for us, and once again the teams gave us a decent game. Referee Mark Curwood certainly earned his fee - booking no fewer than eight players, five of them from Pinxton! He also had to ask Wayne Cooke to leave the field early on in proceedings to remove an ear piercing - the break giving Kev the opportunity to snap Joe Riley, who was once again suspended, this time for the accumulation of five yellow cards...

Ear we go again....

Joe Riley

The game certainly wasn't dirty, and it has to be said that some of the cautions were a tad harsh. There was a bit of a scuffle on the hour that saw Jimmy Adcock and Tom Coupe booked, but niggly challenges and bad language were not given any truck by Mr. Curwood. Having said that, he did control the game well and we somehow managed to finish the game with 11 v 11.

We knew most of the players in the starting elevens, and both management teams. Linby Secretary Ash Ward was kind enough to let us photogragh the team sheets.

Benjamin Newman and Kenny Shinfield, Dave Marlow and Jonathan Dakers

Met former Eastwood town vice Chairman Steve Peat just inside the ground, then made our way to the other side where we were joined by Paul McFarland. Why Paul is still without a team is beyond me.

Paul's been out of the game for a few seasons and now feels the time is right for him to get involved with a team once again. 

Kick off

On paper this was a home banker, with Pinxton 5th top and Linby 5th bottom before kick off, but it was the visitors who took the game to the hosts early doors, forcing keeper Jack Ward to first clear away a Matt Murphy effort with his feet, then block a terrific effort from Joe Butler. 

Ward blocks well from Murphy

After that attack had broken down, Pinxton went up the other end and Jay Cooper saw his volley at the near post fly just over the Linby bar. 

Cooper had another effort well saved by Watkinson, this time after Darren Bettison had picked him out at the far stick. 

With 21 minutes played, the visitors' pressure finally paid dividends - JOE BUTLER finding space in the box before firing low and hard past Ward. 

Joe Butler

On the half hour mark, Watkinson and Matt Peberday combined well to keep out a corner from the left - Pinxton centre-back Danny Henshaw should have buried the loose ball, but could only manage to lift the ball way over the bar from barely 6 yards out. 

Henshaw fires over

Pinxton were fighting desperately for the equaliser, and but for the face of Linby right-back Chaz Niblett they would have been level. Wayne Cooke made a great run down the right and rolled the ball into the path of Adcock who connected well, but  unfortunately for the Pinxton no. 8, Niblett was in the way and the ball cannoned off his face and away to safety. H-T 0-1

Niblett in the way!

Linby came out looking to add to their lead, and Matt Murphy had a terrific drive block by Josh Parker with just two minutes of the second half played. 

Two minutes later though, the home team were level, albeit somewhat fortuitously. JASON DAWSON saw his shot blocked on the line, but as the ball was cleared it hit Dawson on the knee and flew into the back of the net. 

Lucky strike!!

On 51, the home team were ahead for the first time in the game, a  fairly tame free-kick from JAY COOPER by-passing a poorly constructed wall, leaving keeper Watkinson stranded mid-goal.


Cooke fired a long range shot just wide of the post on the hour mark, but it was the travellers who were next on the scoresheet, again in somewhat fortuitous  circumstances! 

A Linby free-kick was played into the Pinxton box in the 65th minute, and as keeper Ward attempted to clear his lines, JOE BUTLER raced in to apply pressure. This made the keeper panic and his clearance went straight to the striker, who calmly rolled the ball into the empty net. 

Dawson brought out another great save from Watkinson on 88, then Cooke was also thwarted by the young Linby stopper as we entered the fifth minute of added time. F-T 2-2

Admission: £2
Programme: £1
Attendance: not too sure - but it must have been well over 60.

Almost forgot to mention the smashing bird we saw at the game...nice !!!