Saturday, 23 November 2013

Blidworth Welfare 0-4 Southwell City

Venue: The Welfare Ground, Mansfield Road, Blidworth

Apologies for the lack of pics - Kev couldn't make a game this week. I was undecided where to go - until I got a text from my good friend Rob Waite telling me he was visiting Blidworth with his buddy Mick Cooke. Not seen my blogging mentor for ages, his time as Harworth CI Secretary taking up most of his spare time nowadays.

Me and Mick - some sneaky snapper in action!!!

Arrived at the ground ten minutes before the teams took to the pitch - paid my £3 but was informed that there were no programmes left...

    Thanks to my Assistant "Statto" for the pic!

A few weeks ago I tweeted my despair at not getting hold of a teamsheet at the Hucknall v Southwell game - I got the scorers wrong, as well as both keepers names. 

That wasn't going to happen at this game as Southwell Manager Dave Scott went out of his way to ensure a teamsheet was made available, and introducing me to his Chairman Colin Abbott who had the teamsheet to hand. 

Dave and Rob had met previously at a Harworth game after Dave's lost wallet was handed in to Rob - and returned safely to it's owner..

Lyam Webster showed his intent early doors, clipping a neat effort goalwards after 7 minutes play, and only a cracking save by Jason Fisher in the home goal kept the scores level. 

WEBSTER scored the first of his personal treble on 25, his fierce drive from 25+ yards beating the despairing dive of Fisher, who despite getting a hand to the shot, couldn't deflect it quite enough and the ball ended up nestling in the back of the net. 

City though they had doubled their lead on 35 when Stefen Whitely prodded the ball home from close range after a shot had been blocked. Unfortunately for Whitely though, Referee Mark Curwood had seen him bring the loose ball under control with his hand and quite rightly ruled the effort out. 

Fisher made another great save to foil Ant Brown soon after, but with two minutes to go before the break, he was unable to stop MARLON WAITES tapping in Whitely's cross after he was allowed space in front of goal. H-T 0-2

First half action

WEBSTER wasted no time increasing the city lead after the break, another neat clip past Fisher after he was picked out by Whitely. 

The Blidworth defence was struggling to deal with former Bilborough Town man Webster, and only a sterling performance by Fisher kept the score down. A save on 37 was a real cracker, diving to his left to tip away Webster's shot that was curling into the top corner. 

Fisher was beaten again though on 84, this time WEBSTER firing home from the spot, after Ryan Meehan had tripped a Southwell player just inside the box.

Video is a bit dark, but then again the camera I was using is crap!

Admission: £3
Programme: £1
Attendance: head counted 39, but there were a few more by the time the final whistle blew.