Saturday, 2 November 2013

Hucknall Town 1-2 Southwell City

Venue: Watnall Road, Hucknall.

Town - Leon Aikman (78)
City - Tyrone Gray (21), Taz Nadif (77)

We were going to Selston v Hucknall Rolls in the NSL, but there is not much cover at that venue, so opted for a game where we would at least be dry if the heavens opened. 

Had a chat to Paul McFarland before the game - seems he is now actively looking for a position in the non-league game after being out of the picture for a while. 

Paul managed Eastwood's very successful reserve team a few years ago and has had spells with Glapwell, South Normanton, Pinxton, Sutton and Blackwell. Plenty of experience - should be snapped up soon I reckon.

We knew this wasn't going to be a classic cup tie, but we never imagined it would be so poor. The first quarter of the game was dire, although the Hucknall strikers did manage to keep the linesman on the far side busy - forcing him to raise his flag for offside on numerous occasions.

The Minstermen took a well deserved lead in the 21st minute, but the Town keeper has to shoulder the blame. He looked to be well set to gather a free kick in from the left, but allowed the ball to bounce off him, and it fell straight to the feet of City skipper TYRONE GRAY who had no problem forcing the ball over the line.

Southwell's skipper capitalises on keeper error

When Hucknall finally beat the Southwell offside trap on 28, they found keeper Alex Smith a formidable barrier, and Town's no. 9 never looked like levelling the scores. F-T 0-1

Jeremy Moran had a great chance to restore parity within 8 minutes of the restart, but his goal-bound effort was well blocked.

Half way through the second period, Referee Jacob Shapiro booked four players in a five minute spell - three for tapping the ball away, and one I think, for giving him a bit of lip. Mr. Shapiro had been having a quiet game until then....

City went further ahead in the 77th minute, left back TAZ NADIF drilling an arrow straight shot in at the near post after the home defence allowed him time and space 15 yards from goal. 

Hucknall pulled one back straight from the restart, LEON AIKMAN slotting past Smith from the edge of the box. Hucknall's stopper had to make a fine diving save to keep out the Southwell no. 9 soon after, but the final ten minutes or so were all Town as they went for the leveller that would have sent the tie into extra time. 

Unfortunately for the Yellows, Smith and his defenders managed to repel the attacks and it was Southwell that go into the hat for the third round of the competition. F-T 1-2

Admission: £3
Programme: £1
Attendance: Head count 93