Saturday, 10 August 2013

Linby CW 0-3 Real Utd

Saturday 10th August: venue Church Lane, Linby

Not exactly the start to the season I was hoping for! Kev declined as he was doing it himself, and the game was not too much to write home about - still - it's good to be watching footie again.

Linby had a few faces missing - including keeper Scott Miles and influential player/manager Dave Marlow. 

Teams : 
Linby : Guyatt, Niblett, Murray, Henshaw, Tyler, Buckley, Davies, Winfield, Murphy, Burke, Bettridge. Subs - Mann, Coupe, Ajewole, Dakers

Real : Zboch, Gray, Caulton, Edwards, Pinnock, Papp, Robinson, Allen, Stephens, Blair, Whalin. Subs - Belcher, Buck, Johnson, Moss.

Linby were slow out of the blocks, and allowed Real to dictate the pace of the game early doors. The visitors made their pressure pay in just the fourth minute when KEIRAN WHALIN fired home from the edge of the box. The no. 11 was in the right place at the right time as the ball dropped to his feet, although the shot was mis-hit and caught Welfare keeper Glenn Guyatt on the wrong foot. 

Linby forced their way back into the game as the half progressed, but despite have the majority of possession, they failed to unduly trouble the visiting keeper. 

Despite the home teams domination, they went further behind just before the break, that man KIERAN WHALIN again with the goal. This time it was a superb solo effort - the player running into the box, sitting a defender on his backside before slotting in at  the near post with Guyatt again wrong-footed. H-T 0-2

2 goal Keiran Whalin

Called good friend Brian Dennett at half-time and learned from him that he had been in a road traffic accident, rolling his car. Apart from being a little shook up, the old bugger seemed to be physically ok. All the best, buddy....

The second half started exactly as did the first with Real in the ascendancy, but failed to add to their tally. Linby again rallied and took the game to their visitors, but were unable to break down a stubborn, well organised defence. 

After 62 minutes, the game was effectively over when JORDAN BLAIR tapped the ball home from close range. Dalton Stephens' shot had beaten Guyatt but struck the foot of the post - the rebound fell straight to Blair who was never going to miss from a couple of yards out. 

The same can't be said for Linby striker Matt Murphy who blazed over on 79 from a few yards after Damien Mann's shot had crashed off the far post. F-T 0-3 

Referee Mark Tinsley had a decent game - but the players were, on the whole, well behaved, giving Mr. Tinsley a fairly easy start to his season.

Admission £3
Programme £1.50 (?)
Attendance - head count 38