Monday, 26 August 2013

Bank Holiday Double Header

....but to be brutally honest, not the best 180 minutes of football I've ever seen..

Blidworth Welfare 0-2 Bulwell FC - CML South
Kicked off at noon to give people a chance to go to other local games.Great idea, and attracted almost 60 into the Welfare ground. The winning margin should have been much greater than it was, Bulwell had at least a dozen great chances, but had only one in each half to show for their endeavours.

Blidworth: Fisher, Fottles, Lane, Rhodes, Ellis T, Dowdall, Bamford, Cheetham A, Voller, Barson, Stokes. Subs: Neal, Whitburn, Williams, Ellis D, Merryweather

Bulwell: Wheat, Murdock, Moore, McGaughey, Soar, Perkins, Hogg, Abdullah, Jeffries, Litchfield, Vipond. Subs: Saunders, England, Marley.

MAREK VIPOND scored the Bulls' first goal in the 11th minute, heading home a Scott Litchfield left wing cross at the far stick.

Blidworth were giving their all, but as Richard Lane's daughter said, Bulwell were the better team. H-T 0-1

The second half was much in the same mould as the first, Bulwell creating plenty of chances, but firing blanks. Until the third minute of stoppage time that is - ROB ENGLAND wrapping up the three points for the visitors by slotting the ball across keeper Jason Fisher and into the net. F-T 0-2

Admission £3
Programme: complimentary - and one of the better ones currently on offer! Cheers Scott.

Attendance - Rob Hornby 60 HC /Richard Lane HC 56 = average 58!

Good to see Lee Fottles back in action - not seen him play since he was with the Eastwood Academy a few years back.

Linby CW 0-2 Hucknall Town - CMLS
Magnificent attendance at Church Lane - 247 for a CML game! It was like a family day out, and the ground was bathed in sunshine throughout the game.

Linby had opened up the bottom part of the Church Lane ground for car parking - great idea and no doubt saved a lot of people from having a car parking headache.

It was a pity that the teams couldn't provide a thumping, pulsating local derby. This was low key, humdrum and looked as though it would be settled by a scrappy first half own goal.

Linby should have gone ahead in the 5th minute - but Martyn Burke could only steer his near post header wide of the post.

Burke fails from close range

Burke had to be replaced soon after, then Welfare lost influential defender Terry Henshaw a few minutes later. With Dave Marlow, Simon Marlow, Matt Murphy, Damian Mann, Aaron Ryan and Tom Coupe all missing, Linby were well below full strength, and losing Burke and Henshaw didn't help their cause.

Neither did the OG on 36 - two defenders tried to clear their post, but only succeeded between them in prodding the ball into their own net. F-T 0-1

247 in attendance

The second half was dire - and the only goal came in somewhat  controversial circumstances. Eugine Francis was injured in the first minute of stoppage time and was, as regulations state, taken to the sideline after treatment. Referee Martin Watts waved the player back on with Hucknall attacking. Leon Aikman picked out FRANCIS who duly hammered the ball past the despairing dive of Scott Miles in the Linby goal. In the spirit of the game, the player should not have been allowed back on the pitch until after the attack was over, but no doubt Mr. Watts knew what he was doing. 

Admission £3
Attendance 247