Saturday, 17 August 2013

Bilborough Town 3-4 Hucknall Rolls Leisure

Saturday 17th August 2013 - venue Bestwood Lodge Fire Station HQ

Invited to this game by Bilborough press officer Jevon Swinscoe. It was the first time Town have produced a League programme - and Jev was rightly pleased with his first attempt. Apparently all NSL games are to have a programme from this season onwards.

We are not avid followers of the NSL, but this game turned out to be quite enjoyable.....

New venue for "on the road" - although it is only just over 4 miles from where we live, we didn't even know this ground existed until a couple of days ago!

A cracking setting, but facilities are a little on the sparse side, only one changing room for both teams and no cover for spectators - we were pleased that the rain that had threatened never materialised. 

We knew a few of the Rolls players, but not many of the Town players were all unknown to us. I'd heard of John Manders, but can't remember seeing him play before, whilst keeper Alex Smith I remember from his Bulwell Town days. 

The game kicked off a few minutes late - Rob Hornby's fault - taking a Bilborough Town team picture before the customary handshakes! 

Rolls were ahead after just three minutes of play, a corner swept in from the right by Aaron Short was pushed onto the bar by keeper Smith. When the loose ball fell kindly to the feet of ASHLEY MARSHALL the left back gleefully prodded home from a few yards out.

Smith tries to see the ball over the bar

Marshall wheels away after prodding home the loose ball

The game was a bit scrappy, but Referee Barry Goodley wasn't helping things - missing challenges, punishing perfectly good tackles and generally "having a mare" !

Richard Harrison made a challenge - and gets a talking to!

Town were level on 22, TOMMY STREET controlling a ball that was hoofed high into the box, before sliding the ball past keeper Jake Pearson's and into the net. 

Manders heads over

ANDY START put rolls back in front with a minute of the half left, bundling a Short far post free-kick past Smith. H-T 1-2

Start was gifted the ball by Smith on the hour mark, and the keeper tried to regain possession by fouling the Rolls striker on the corner of the box. Smith received a yellow, but as Start would probably have scored, he can think himself lucky he stayed on the pitch.

On 55, the visitors went further ahead when RORY SMITH volleyed home at the far post.  

Smith did well to keep out a powerful Greg Conn shot with his legs on 75, but ANDY START beat the home keeper again on 88, finding himself unmarked in front of goal and firing wide of the keeper's despairing dive. 

So,  two minutes to go and Rolls comfortably ahead? Well, Mr. Goodley somehow found a good chunk of added time and the home team took full advantage, netting twice and leaving us thinking we will be playing until Town had equalised!!! 

In the second added minute, MANDERS' cross/shot from the right caught the wind and flew over the outstretched arms of Pearson and into the far top corner. 

STREET hammered a powerful shot from 15 yards past Pearson in the 95th minute, leaving a few squeaky bums in the Rolls' ranks. There were to be a further five minutes of constant home pressure before the Ref finally blew for full time. F-T 3-4

Programme £1 -- good quid's worth!
Attendance : head count 38 (Rob Hornby)