Thursday, 1 May 2014

Bilborough Town 4-6 Selston FC

Venue: Digby Street, Kimberley, Nottinghamshire. Kick off 6:48pm.

Competition: NSL Senior Division -- this win secures the league title for Selston

Selston - Steve Smith (6, 41), Jay Cooper (51, 57), Dominic Airey (67, 90+3)
Bilborough - Ricky Law (21, 80, 87), Tommy Street (60)

Head count: 65

When we arrived at the ground, the scuttlebutt was that Bilborough only had 7 players, so the result was a formality. They actually started the game with 8, then three more entered the game, and they even managed to replace one injured player with a sub half way through the first half!

Glad we didn't miss this one -- early kick offs are a nightmare for both me and the daftlad, but we would have been gutted to have not made it to this game. 

It took the visitors just 6 minutes to open the scoring, STEVE SMITH running in from the right before slotting past the stand-in keeper. As more Town players entered the field of play, they started to make inroads into a very shaky looking Selston defence, and were deservedly level on 21. RICKY LAW broke the off-side trap and raced in on goal and slotted neatly past Jake Simpson. Law looked a good couple of yards offside, but the goal was allowed to stand.

The home team also had two goals disallowed, one straight from a corner that Simpson palmed into his own net only for the Ref to adjudge he was fouled as he went for the ball. 

With four minutes of the first half remaining, Dominic Airey launched the ball into the Town area from midfield and SMITH collected well in front of goal before turning and smashing the ball home.  H-T 1-2

Selston had a bit of an ear-bashing during the break - although thankfully for the players the interval was cut to five minutes - I imagine fears that the fading light had something to do with that decision. 

The visitors went further ahead on 51, a cracking Rory Davis free-kick from the left met by a superb, powerful side foot effort from JAY COOPER.

COOPER grabbed his second 6 minutes later, racing into the box, keeping the ball alive at the foot of the post and rolling home. 

Bilborough never let their heads drop though, and the Selston lead was cut to two on the hour mark, tall skipper TOMMY STREET nodding home in front of goal after he was left totally unmarked. 

Selston were then awarded a penalty in the 63rd minute after their keeper appeared to raise his knee in Airey's midriff. Steve Smith stepped up to hopefully complete his hat-trick, but fired way wide of the upright. 

Steve Smith - oh dear!

The three goal Selston advantage was restored on 67, DOMINIC AIREY on hand to slide home Cooper's terrific cross from the left. 

2-5 became 3-5 on 80, LAW firing home from the spot,  then LAW completed his personal triple 7 minutes later, firing home through a crowded area to make it 4-5. Squeeky bum time for the Selston faithful - but those cheeks unclenched in the third minute off added time when AIREY broke the Town offside trap, and delicately chipped the home keeper from some15 yards out. F-T 4-6