Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Teversal FC 4-3 Dronfield Town

Venue: Carnarvon Street, Teversal.

This was an NCEL Div 1 league game that pitched 14th placed Teversal against 16th placed Dronfield Town. Wasn't going to be a classic, but I've not been to Tevvie for a while so chose this game, as the other local scheduled games were mostly cup ties. I'll take in a league match over a cup match any day of the week.

Always great to get a team sheet - at Teversal they put them on the gate,  stick one on the gatehouse window and they also hang a framed one in the snap shed. 

The game itself was a strange one - even though it finished 4-3, it wasn't really an exciting affair, to say the least! 

Great to see both Management teams having a laugh and a joke throughout the game - mind you some of Referee Paul Matthewson's decisions went a long way in uniting the benches - against him! 

The first goal came in the 5th minute, scored from the spot by Dronfield's RICHIE MARPLES, after Danny Wood was tripped as he raced into the Teversal box.

The lead lasted only two minutes though, DANNY WILLIAMS powering home from close range after Dave Cockerill's 25 yard free-kick was parried by visiting keeper Nick Siddons straight to the no. 11's feet. 

On 36, Lewis Naylor had two great scoring opportunities blocked as Dronfield took control of the game, but there were no further goals in the first half and it was off to the warmth of the tea bar - it was a bit nippy! H-T 1-1  

Teversal took the lead 5 minutes into the second period when DAVE COCKERILL glanced home a header at the far post after Siddons had failed to collect Jacob Ashley's free-kick.

Danny Wilson had replaced Lewis Weaver at half time, and the sub was unlucky when he connected with a 56th minute Cockerill corner only to see his effort crash off the bar with Siddons well beaten.

Dronfield drew level on the hour mark, LEWIS NAYLOR on hand at the far stick to prod home after a shot was blocked and the ball fell kindly at his feet. 

Naylor had a shot blocked on the line on 71, then Wood had a great chance to put Dronfield ahead when he was played in one-on-one with Brooks. Unfortunately for the winger he failed to get the ball past the home keeper, who blocked well.

A burst of speed and some neat ball control by Ashley Rawson caught out the home defence seconds later, and when the skipper played the ball across the goal, Wood had the simple task of tapping home. Again the no. 11 was foiled by a great block by Brooks and the chance went begging.

Teversal went back in front after sub JOSH RADFORD fired a cross in from the goal line on 83 that looked harmless enough - but Siddons misjudged the flight of the ball and palmed it into the back of the net.  The dubious goals panel will have to decide whether the goal should be credited to Radford, or should be deemed an O.G.

Siddon also contributed to the Tevie fourth goal on 89, dropping a Cockerill free-kick, allowing OLIVER WOOD to the chance to bundle home.  

The visitors had the final say though, DAN WOOD hitting a hopeful effort from the edge of the box that beat Brooks all ends up. F-T 4-3

Admission: £5
Programme: £1 (usual excellent publication)
Attendance: 51